Sunday, December 23, 2012

IN TRANSIT by DeAnn Louise Daigle


I like small; I like small
Places, I like tiny figurines, I 
Like miniature paintings, small boxes,
Small jewelry, small uncomplicated
Life-style, small notebooks, small
Books, small computers.  I don’t know
Why I’m that way, I just am.

The more I think about Mom, the
More I wonder.  I never really knew
My mother.  She kept big secrets
From me, really big secrets, I would
Find out about and not have the courage
Or the know-how to ask her real questions
Or, was I afraid to find out that

What I’d heard was true?  And then,
What about Dad?  I loved him so
Much, then when, after Mom had told
Me he did not drink, I found that he
Disappeared periodically and this was in
Fact because he did drink.  He made Mom
Cry.  I was angry with him.  Why did he 
Not just stop drinking?

It did something to me as a young
Child to be getting half-truths, double
Talk, and protective untruths.  Somehow,
I had to muddle my way through this
Maze to find in life who I really
Was; and could that truth, would
That truth really be so bad, so incomprehensible
That I would rather die than go on
Living?  Why could Mom and Dad
Not just be honest with me?  Why

Did they feel so protective of me, so
Much so that it actually complicated
My life, making me timid, shy,
Reticent about what I was, who I
Was, and what if what I was
Told was true – about Mom – about
Dad – about me?  What if it were
True?  Could their love for me not
Hold me, shelter me, protect me?

Or were they so unfinished themselves
And so not quite grown-up yet
Themselves, that dealing with the 
Consequences of the truth-telling to a real
Other human being, another child apart
From themselves but part of them,
Be too, all too overwhelming?  Would
Having the truth come out be so
Awfully devastating that the unbearable
Would become the …? 

There were whispers in corners, in
Hallways, in the room at the bottom
Of the stairs.  I only heard portions
And I knew secrets were being
Kept from me, and I knew but
Didn’t know.  I always didn’t
Know until late in adult life
I just had to know – for sure,
For truth, for my own locked up
Inability to grow and become truly
Myself – to become myself.

And so, I justify the book.  My
Husband, my Jim, tells me I
Ought to embrace my book, be
Proud of my book – and it suddenly
Occurs to me that I treat my book
The way my mother treated me.

No comments: